Ageing Safely a Must as Electrical Accidents Rises

Electricity accidents among the elderly are rising at an alarming rate, warns Chris Elmore MP.

Electricity causes almost half of all domestic fires – most of which arise from electrical products - with the over 60s at far greater risk from them than any other age group. Almost 40% of deaths from portable heaters were of people aged 80 and over during 2013-2014. And it’s been estimated that damaged electric blankets are responsible for over 5,000 UK house fires each year.

To get some advice and support in highlighting the need for electrical safety for older people, Mr Elmore visited Electrical Safety First’s drop-in surgery this week.

Ogmore MP, Chris Elmore explained:

“As we live longer and tend to remain in properties for longer, regular home safety checks are often forgotten and electrical wiring and appliances tend to be older”.

“Electrical Safety First’s campaign highlights how - by taking just a few moments to ensure electrical sockets, wires and cords are in good condition and sockets aren’t overloaded - can make a real difference to the safety of older relatives and friends”.

Robert Jervis-Gibbons, Public Affairs Manager for the Electrical Safety First said:

“This winter we have been encouraging friends and family to check in on older people and look around for electrical danger”,

“Providing MPs with a drop-in ‘surgery’ means we can offer them the information and material to help ensure their older constituents stay electrically safe, particularly in the winter months.”

The Charity has been calling for a free, five-yearly electrical safety check for all households with one person aged over 75 and statutory, five-yearly checks in all care homes. It has also developed information packs to help keep older people electrically safe this winter, which can be downloaded from

Published and Promoted by Carys Price on behalf of Chris Elmore both at 44a Penybont Road, Pencoed, CF35 5RA.

  • Grey Twitter Icon
  • Grey Facebook Icon